Seattle 1978

Seattle 1978

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Retro Toys

This weekend my fourteen year old daughter got nostalgic.  She came across her "retro toys" (her words).   How can something manufactured during the 21st century be considered "retro"?!  She found a tutorial to fix a circa 2000 Pokemon game for Nintendo Gameboy Color - this seems even more ancient to her since she inherited the Gameboy a few years ago from her cousin who is now in college.  And she bought new batteries for her Tamagotchi Connections that she collected in third grade.  I guess your childhood toys from elementary school seem quaint when you're in ninth grade.
From Visiting Vintage


Today I came across some vintage comic books that were nostalgic to me.  Here's one -
Little Lulu No. 214 September 1973
From Visiting Vintage

The ads inside made me smile at the memory of reading them with childhood eyes

From Visiting Vintage

From Visiting Vintage

From Visiting Vintage

From Visiting Vintage

From Visiting Vintage

From Visiting Vintage

From Visiting Vintage

In the same stack I found I had saved a comic book that someday my 23 year old may feel nostalgic about - Sonic the Hedgehog No. 1 October 1995

From Visiting Vintage

I guess "retro" is in the eye of the beholder.  Nostalgia is a nice place to visit if the memories add a smile to your day.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Sea monkeys! Wow, what were those things anyway? I never found out.

Does anybody still sell sling-shots? I'm thinking lawsuits probably put the kibosh on that.

Jana said...

I wonder how much those awesome Spyder bikes sold for back then.

Carina said...

What about the stuffed animals, Cecil and Beany? You pulled a string and they talked? And how about Rock'em Sock'em Robots?

Jana said...

I had a Chatty Cathy that talked when you pulled a string. But - ooh - you made me remember my stuffed Snoopy that I wound up and he'd slowly wag his head back and forth - I wish I could remember the music box tune that he played. . .