Seattle 1978

Seattle 1978

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Seattle December 1978

My favorite elective in high school was photography.  In December 1978 we took a field trip to downtown Seattle and wandered around shooting anything we wanted.  I feel a bit awkward now doing street photography and taking photographs of strangers - but being a teenager and being on assignment I guess I felt entitled to do so.  We shot black-and-white so we could process the film and develop the prints ourselves.  I took over sixty photos but most of them I had only seen in contact print size since I only enlarged a handful of them.  A few years ago I came across the negatives and took them in to be put on a CD and it was pretty exciting for me to see them big.  If these look familiar to some of you I shared them at the time with Vintage Seattle and you may have seen them there.

(Photos removed. I may post them again if I can prevent them from being shared for profit by others.)

4 comments:

Darrin.. said...

HA! I remember getting 50 cent McDonalds certificates in school as reward from teachers, AND.. you could actually buy stuff with them!!

Jana said...

Thank-you for the comment, Darrin. And it reminded me that in these-here-parts we used to get free tickets to watch the brand new Seattle Mariners in the Kingdome if we got on honor roll!

What-I-Found said...

I just found your blog (because you found me first, thank you) and am delighted. I was born and raised in Seattle and am just a little older than you since I graduated in 1974. So many of these scenes look very familiar to me. How fun!

Jana said...

What-I-Found - Thank you for the comment. I'm looking forward to more of your blog posts! I'm not a seamstress but it makes me smile seeing the old styles.