Seattle 1978

Seattle 1978

Friday, October 28, 2011

Ingeman at Camp Cody

War is scary.  So still with no vintage Halloween photos, I'm posting about Ingeman at Camp Cody.  A (gas)mask seems suitable for my Halloween week photos.
From Camp Cody - Ingeman
I don't know who Ingeman is but he sent photos and postcards to my Grandfather-in-law (the one married to Maren who kept up lots of photo albums and several scrapbook treasures).  I can't find any details about his last name.  He wrote both in Danish and in English.  One photo has Maren's handwriting and tells us he's at the Paulsens.  I don't know who the Paulsens are, either but I've seen other photos marked Paulsen and Polsen and if I recall correctly in one of the other thick albums I saw mention that they lived in Burlington, Skagit County, WA.  Maren and Hans moved around Skagit and lived in Sedro Woolley, Burlington and Mt. Vernon.

For the better part of this year, I had this photo as my blog banner at the top:
From Camp Cody - Ingeman
I couldn't identify it where it was but Maren had pasted it in an album that I've had for over a decade that ranges from about 1910-1927.  After looking through a couple of new-to-me-trunks late this summer, I found postcards from World War 1 time frame from someone named Ingeman and sent from Camp Cody.  Summer ended and I headed back-to-work and didn't have much time to spend looking in to Camp Cody since quick searches and me being easily sidetracked when I surf didn't turn up much for me.  Last weekend I remembered I still wanted to confirm this and I found http://campcodydeming.orbs.com/ - I wrote the webmaster, Michael Kromeke and he confirmed the photo location for me and sent me a plethora of interesting links.  So the mystery of the location of "Base Hosp" has been solved but I'd still like to know more about Ingeman - did he get sent overseas during The Great War and how he was important to Hans and Maren Andersen?

More Camp Cody and Ingeman photos here:

2 comments:

Matt said...

Jana,
This is a great mystery. I love stuff like this. Feels like a good novel. Who is this Ingeman? Nice bit of sleuthing you did on the Camp Cody image. Way to go.

Jana said...

Thanks for the comment, Matt. I love that my husband's grandmother kept so many interesting photos and that she took the time to write some captions. She's left me info and clues for further puzzling. I SO wish I could have several weeks to chat with her and learn more.