Seattle 1978

Seattle 1978

Monday, March 12, 2012

Girl Scouts 100th Birthday

I started as a Brownie in 3rd Grade and flew up to Girl Scouts the next year. I was in a troop through Juniors, Cadettes and Seniors - all the way through my sophomore year in high school. Memorable times  include taking two vans down to National Center West in Ten Sleep, Wyoming between my 7th and 8th grade year where we met Girl Scouts from around the country and sailing and sleeping on an 101 foot schooner, The Adventuress with my troop.

My daughter joined Brownies also in third grade and went through 6th grade in her Junior troop. I was a leader for part of the time and sewed my patches from back-in-the day in the early to mid 70s along with new Girl Scout patches I acquired on my leader denim shirt

(Food Allergy friends - note FAAN's PAL Girl Scout Patch! No one in the troop had anaphylactic allergies but they still were very supportive in learning about food allergies)

Girl Scouts provided many fun and meaningful memories for both me and my daughter.

Life Magazine featured The Girl Scouts March 24th, 1952 to celebrate Girl Scout's 40th birthday. Check it out on Google Books here You'll find the start of the article on page 108 (if you're not familiar with how to navigate this site, if the "next" doesn't show up in your window in a yellow bar then select the article "Girl Scouts, 40th Birthday 108" from the drop down menu where it probably says "Front Cover".

I've come across a couple of ads featuring Girl Scouts

Dromedary Angel Food Cake mix "Inspired by the historic recipe used in the Birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low, Founder of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America"

January 23, 1956 Life Magazine
Pin It

"The Asphalt Institute salutes the Girl Scouts of the U. S. A. who are this month celebrating their 45th birthday."

March 25th, 1957 Life Magazine

I'm proud to have been part of the Girl Scout program and wish the organization a very Happy Centennial Birthday.

No comments: