Seattle 1978

Seattle 1978

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Seattle World's Fair postcards

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the Seattle World's Fair opening. The Space Needle's saucer was been temporarily painted original "Galaxy Gold" (that would be "orange" to us regular folk) earlier this week in honor of this grand occasion.

I'm growing my World's Fair postcard collection and wanted to share.








"The Space Needle Seattle, Washington. It rises to the height of 600 feet and is topped by a restaurant which revolves 360 degrees every hour. About 260 persons can be served. An observation deck and snack service is also atop the Needle for those who wish to feast mostly on the tremendous scenic panorama. C-719 Ektachrome by Clifford B. Ellis"


"Two symbols of modern times. The sleek Monorail, first of its kind in America, swiftly whisks visitors to the Seattle World's Fair grounds and back to beautiful downtown Seattle. Like a sentinel watching, stands the 600 foot Space Needle.  Color photo by Max R. Jensen"





I would be thrilled if you shared links with me of blogs or uploaded photos or postcards of the Seattle World's Fair.

Here are a few I have come across

astro launch 1962 Seattle World's Fair

azzurrolou 1962 Century 21 Exposition Seattle World's Fair

OrangeSpaceNeedle

Seattle Municipal Archives Century 21 & Seattle Center

Smith Family Slide Scans - Reel 2 - Seattle World's Fair June, 1962

What Makes the Pie Shops Tick 1962 Seattle World's Fair

Videos

Mister Here (From Way Out There) - 1962 Seattle World's Fair

Pike Family - Seattle World's Fair 1962

Seattle World's Fair 1962 - "Century 21 Calling"

2 comments:

Matt said...

Thanks for posting these, Jana. I've heard a number of people in comments say that the orange ("Galaxy Gold") was alright for the groovy '60s but that they don't think it works now, but I'm here to tell you I love the newly re-retro-painted needle, and I hope they keep it that way. I notice in the close-up here that there's a trip of almost rose color on the outermost rim, which I can't see on the current paint job (though admittedly I haven't gotten as close a view as this). I like that a lot. I say bring it all back.

Jana said...

Thank you for your comments, Matt! I agree - I think only the top "roof" was re-retro painted and they left the rest washed out - probably to appease those who don't like this splash of color in our skyline. Or maybe someone decided it would clash too severely with the Experience Music Project.