Seattle 1978

Seattle 1978

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Gene Kelly

When I was in high school, as I recall many girls had a photo of Jim Palmer in his Jockey briefs taped to the inside of their locker door.  I, however had this photo that I bought at store in Pike Place Market that sold Hollywood promo items.


Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly in Anchor's Aweigh (1945)

Sometime during high school, I watched "That's Entertainment" and saw clips of Gene Kelly for the first time. When I first "discovered" him, I don't think we had a VCR at the time so I had to wait until the occasional old Gene Kelly movie came on TV to see more of him.  A friend took me to see Xanadu - he got to see Olivia Newton-John and I got to see Gene Kelly.  I even sent Gene Kelly a birthday card one year!

Last week - August 23rd - would have been Gene Kelly's 100th birthday.  He died in 1996; several people said they thought of me when they heard the news of his passing.  I was at a friend's house last night and she had recorded and kept for me last week's 100th birthday tribute on "So, You Think You Can Dance" with the contestants costumed and choreographed alluding to several Gene Kelly movie numbers.

And YAY! I found a Life Magazine Ad featuring Gene Kelly!

June 27, 1955 Life Magazine



See Life Magazine Gene Kelly photo images here Gene Kelly: Rare Photos of a Song and Dance Legend

Happy Birthday Week, Gene Kelly - thanks for the entertainment!

No comments: