Seattle 1978

Seattle 1978

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The One Where Grandma Dropped My Cake

My fourth birthday was a party at my Grandma and Grandpa Johnson's apartment across from Woodland Park Zoo.  It was both sets of grandparents, my parents, my two year old sister and me.  I don't know that I actually remember it happening (but I think I do!) but Grandma Johnson dropped my cake in the kitchen.  My memory is that it was while she was carrying it from the kitchen into the dining room singing but I look at this picture and notice her finger all bandaged up and a towel under her hand like something had just happened so now I don't remember the circumstances.  This is one of those events that she was reminded of for years.  I'm not sure I actually remember the cake-tastrophe or just the reminders she always got.
The missing frosting and decorations are evidence.  I'm sure we ate it. And lived to tell the tale. My sister looks a little concerned.





Grandpa Johnson showing us a Polaroid while we play with "Mr. Potato Head" and "Pete the Pepper"

A new slinky and I see "Cooky the Cucumber" behind me - I really don't have any recollection of Mr. Potato Head's friends!




My sister got a bulldozer! (We always both got a little something on each other's birthday)


New gigantic piggy banks for both of us!




My mom and more Polaroids


Grandpa Hawes


Grandma Hawes blowing out a candle - My Grandparent's wedding anniversary was in January so Grandma Johnson had a cake for them, too!  (I think all the frosting got used on my cake so theirs is a little lacking on the side - I really don't think Grandma Johnson dropped two cakes!)

Grandma and Grandpa Johnson (I wish the exposure was a little better)


Thank you for sharing with me my birthday of yesteryear on my birthday week!

My Fifth Birthday
My Eleventh Birthday



No comments: